SLAVONICE

Slavonice was founded in the 1200's by German settlers invited to colonize the region. After the Germans were thrown out post WW II, the town became a military outpost with barbed wire sealing it off on three sides. It lies but one mile from the Austrian border. Now the deep woods of the former military area are called "Czech Canada".

(Click on any picture to see larger view)
( RETURN )

SlavoniceTower2.jpg (18kb) Sgraffito2.jpg (26kb) Sgraffito1.jpg (39kb) StreetScene3.jpg (45kb)
StreetScene1.jpg (45kb) StreetScene2.jpg (41kb)